In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #32 -
August 10, 2017
Change to Kroger Community Rewards
In past years, August 1 began the Kroger "re-enrollment" period. Effective immediately, all participants will now "roll over" automatically and stay enrolled in their chosen organization, instead of having to re-enroll each year.
So if you are already enrolled, you need to
do nothing to keep your current choice.
Enrollment for NEW participants will work the same way as the past: sign up at
or call 1-800-KROGERS,
This program is free to you and brings cash to Ascension - thank you for participating!
ADULTS - "The Preacher's Forum" gathers every Sunday at
Book study meets on Wednesdays, August 2-30, at 6:00 p.m. Contact Father Neat (rector@ ascensionfrankfort.org) for more information.
CAYA teens and young adults are on summer break; meetings will resume with the new school year. For more information, contact Kristi Buffenmyer (
CHILDREN are on a brief break between the summer music program and resuming scheduled Sunday morning classes.
John Martin, Chair of the Simon House Board of Directors, has tickets for sale!
Simon House is a nonprofit transitional living facility for homeless adult women who are pregnant or have children. In collaboration with other agencies and organizations, they provide a safe, stable, and healthy environment that encourages, educates, and empowers residents to become self-sufficient and productive members of our community and the larger society.
David Hurt as
Saturday, August 26
in Ascension's Parish Hall
A Benefit Performance for the
in the Appalachian community of Prestonsburg, KY.
Admission is free;
your generous donations are requested. The need is great in this area.
Come join the fun
and help support a great cause!
August 13 - October 8
- Please check this schedule EVERY WEEK to review your upcoming Sunday duties for the next few weeks. The same schedule is posted on the office window - please write in changes there, as needed, or notify Deacon Rebecca Saager.
- This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus dedications for altar flowers.
- To share your time and talent in a new ministry, change your team assignment(s), change your availability for a future Sunday, or change duties assigned for THIS Sunday, please contact Deacon Rebecca Saager (email@example.com).
Tenth Sunday after Pentecost: Proper 14
Sunday,August 13, 2017
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Week of Proper 14, Year One (8/13/17) - BCP 978
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Subdeacon: Susan Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Mac Elliott
- Lector: Jim King
- Ushers: Jim & Debbie Kimbrough
- Altar Guild: T1 - Suzanne Cox, Laura & Kristi Buffenmyer
- Men's Club: T1 - Geoff Pinkerton, William Legg, Pauline Van Horn, Skip Hunt
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: Kristi Buffenmyer
CAYA (Church of the Ascension Young Adults) - Thank You!
- Yes, we are still looking for Coffee Hour hosts and helpers! Vestry members have agreed to pitch in on Sundays when no one else is scheduled, but we encourage everyone to share in this ministry as you are able.
- Jan Stevens is our Hospitality Coordinator - contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
Intercessions for the Church:
St. Augustine's Chapel, Lexington.
Recently in need of prayers:
Bob; Collin; Dan; Elena; Faye & Steve; Geoff; Jan; Jim & Debbie; Jon; Kim S.; Kim V. & family; Linda; Luke; Natalie; Polly; Risa & her new daughter; Roy; Walt & Betsy; Will.
Ann; Bettie; David; Debbie; Dillard; Doris & Charlie; Duncan & Jo; Gail; Jean; Jinks; John; Judy; Julia; Lara; Marilyn; Ruth; Scott; Scott & Kathy; Shelia; Sherri; and Will & Trish. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, Nick, and Seth; and for Susan Kurtz, Postulant for Holy Orders.
8/14 - Susie French; 8/15 - Leah MacSwords, Tori Word; 8/19 - Erika Kaiser.
8/17 - William Legg & Leah MacSwords.
- Prelude: Saviour, like a Shepherd lead us - Dale Wood
- Opening Hymn: Hymn 414 - God, my King, thy might confessing - Stuttgart
- Gloria: S 280
- Gradual Psalm: Psalm 105, 1-6, 16-22, 45b
- Offertory: Let us break bread - Charles Callahan
- Sanctus: WLP 858
- Fraction Anthem: S 161
- Communion Meditation
- Closing Hymn: Hymn 608 - Eternal Father, strong to save - Melita
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2017 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.