In the name of Christ, we embrace all people to be nourished and empowered by the Holy Spirit to love and serve the world.
Volume 7, Issue #33 -
August 17, 2017
Daily Vacation Bible School activities are in full swing at Stewart Home School this week, led by Laura Buffenmyer, Frances Kirchhoff, and Susie Oder. More to come next week, and see more pics on our Facebook group page here...
Sunday morning breakfast service will begin no later than 8:50 a.m., in order to allow time for people to eat and make it to other activities. Teens and adults are invited to join the Preacher's Forum in the library at 9:15; choir practice starts at 9:30.
CHRISTIAN FORMATION / SUNDAY SCHOOL
for children of all ages will begin next Sunday, August 27.
This year's curriculum will utilize Godly Play lessons and incorporate music in various forms.
All children participating in the Sunday morning classroom and nursery Christian Formation Program are to gather in the Parish Hall. At 9:15, all participants, leaders and learners will go upstairs to the classrooms together as a group. At this point, the children are under the custody of our Christian Formation leaders. If a child arrives later, the parent/guardian is requested to walk the child to the classroom.
All children will remain under the supervision of the leaders until 10:15. At that time, Godly Play 1 learners that go to the nursery will be escorted to the nursery by the leader, unless the parent has given different instructions. All other learners will come back to the Parish Hall as a group to be returned to the custody of their parent(s) or guardian.
As the keepers of God's children, we need to think about safety issues at all times. Children should remain under the supervision of a Christian Formation leader until they are returned to the custody of parent, guardian, or another appropriately designated adult.
(Church of the Ascension Young Adults) will resume semi-monthly meetings in September, meeting during Coffee Hour (after the 10:30 service ends). Meeting dates are the second and fourth Sundays of each month: 9/10 and 9/24, 10/8 and 10/22, 11/12 and 11/26, and 12/10. All teens and young adults are welcome!
John Martin, Chair of the Simon House Board of Directors, has tickets for sale!
Simon House is a nonprofit transitional living facility for homeless adult women who are pregnant or have children. In collaboration with other agencies and organizations, they provide a safe, stable, and healthy environment that encourages, educates, and empowers residents to become self-sufficient and productive members of our community and the larger society.
David Hurt as
Saturday, August 26
in Ascension's Parish Hall
A Benefit Performance for the
in the Appalachian community of Prestonsburg, KY.
Admission is free;
your generous donations are requested. The need is great in this area.
Come join the fun
and help support a great cause!
8/6/17 - $2,759 8/13/17 - $17,117
August 13 - October 8
- Please check this schedule EVERY WEEK to review your upcoming Sunday duties for the next few weeks. The same schedule is posted on the office window - please write in changes there, as needed, or notify Deacon Rebecca Saager.
- This schedule includes acolytes, chalice bearers, lectors, altar guild and men's club teams, coffee hour hosts, and vestry lockup duties, plus dedications for altar flowers.
- To share your time and talent in a new ministry, change your team assignment(s), change your availability for a future Sunday, or change duties assigned for THIS Sunday, please contact Deacon Rebecca Saager (email@example.com).
Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost: Proper 15
Sunday, August 20, 2017
Daily Lectionary: Year One
Week of Proper 15, Year One (8/20/17) - BCP 980
8:00 a.m. - Rite I
10:30 a.m. - Rite II
- Subdeacon: Susan Kurtz
- Chalice Bearer: Ron Gruzesky
- Lector: Shannon Lancaster
- Ushers: Kristi & Laura Buffenmyer
- Altar Guild: T2 - Faye Thacker, Rose Gayle Hardy, Agnes Parman, Ruth Feindel, Jan Riedel
- Men's Club: T2 - Jim Kimbrough, Jim King, Starla Yount
VESTRY LOCKUP DUTY: Rose Gayle Hardy
- Men's Club Team 2 - Jim Kimbrough, Jim King, Starla Yount - Thank You!!
- Yes, we are still looking for Coffee Hour hosts and helpers! Vestry members have agreed to pitch in on Sundays when no one else is scheduled, but we encourage everyone to share in this ministry as you are able.
- Jan Stevens is our Hospitality Coordinator - contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to host Coffee Hour, please sign up on the printed sheet on the office window.
Intercessions for the Church:
St. Hubert's, Clark County (Winchester) - The Rev. Duane Smith, Rector; The Rev. Charles Ellestad, Assisting Priest.
Recently in need of prayers:
Bob; Claire; Collin; Dan; Elena; Faye & Steve; Geoff; Jan; Jim & Debbie; Jon; Kim S.; Kim V. & family; Linda; Luke; Natalie; Polly; Risa & her new daughter; Roy; Walt & Betsy; Will.
Ann; Bettie; David; Debbie; Dillard; Doris & Charlie; Duncan & Jo; Gail; Jean; Jinks; John; Judy; Julia; Lara; Marilyn; Ruth; Scott; Scott & Kathy; Shelia; Sherri; and Will & Trish. We also pray for those on active duty in the military: Daniel, Houston, Nick, and Seth; and for Susan Kurtz, Postulant for Holy Orders.
8/22 - Thomas Bemiss.
- Opening Hymn: Hymn 718 - God of our fathers - National Hymn
- Gloria: Hymn 421
- Gradual Psalm: Psalm 133
- Sanctus: S 124
- Fraction Anthem: S 161
- Communion Meditation: Just a closer walk with thee
- Closing Hymn: Hymn 529 - In Christ there is no East or West - McKee
Clergy and Staff
- The Rev. William Jessee Neat, Rector
- The Rev. Dr. William G. Brown, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Nancy S. Farley, Assisting Priest (Retired)
- The Rev. Deacon Rebecca A. Saager, Curate
- Mr. John B. Martin, Director of Music & Organist
- Ms. Mona Landrum Proctor, Parish & Financial Administrator
- Mr. David Gierlach, Sexton
Click here to see
Copyright © 2017 Church of the Ascension. All Rights Reserved.