From the Economic Development Desk of the
You are receiving this email because your organization is at one of the economic development tiers with the Alpena Area Chamber of Commerce. As always, we encourage your comments and questions.
I will begin by seeking forgiveness since this update is a week late. I have been almost exclusively working on the MEDC Round 2 Restart Grant Program. This is not as much economic development as it is economic sustenance. It is good for area businesses so it worthy of my time and attention. While there were some similarities to the first round, there were some notable differences. Among them:
- We had $3.5 million, instead of $200,000, to cover the same five counties: Alpena, Alcona, Iosco, Presque and Cheboygan.
- The max grant request was $20,000.
- Non-Profits were able to apply this time.
- 30% of all funds was to go to minority, woman or veteran owned businesses.
- Round 1 grantees were initially ineligible to apply. This was corrected legislatively midway through the application cycle and eventually they could seek funding.
- As was the case in the first round, Target was not involved in scoring the grants or the amounts awarded.
- A committee formed from individuals representing all five counties did the grading/scoring of the requests and made the recommendations on the level of support.
- Target coordinated all the activity, notified all of the applicants, processed the certifications, disbursed funds, and will track the follow up items on behalf of the MEDC.
- Special thanks to Adam and Alisha and their support, this was a team effort and because of their help, all checks have been mailed to grantees.
- 497 Grant Requests totaling $8,722,812 for the five counties
- 394 awarded (79.3%) approved
- $8,493 was the average award
- 57.9% of funds went to Minority, Female or Veteran owned businesses
- Alpena had 170 Grants Requests; 150 Approved
In Other Matters...
The City and NOAA both submitted proposals for the new DCIP program that is part of the Office or Economic Adjustment (OEA). This was a first-year program for the D.O.D. Priority was to be given to infrastructure improvement projects that improve quality of life for military personnel and their spouses. Despite the effort, neither of our projects made the cut. Both project proposals were well written and professionally prepared. Our understanding is that the program will have twice the funding next year. We may look to pursue again a year from now should the needs remain unaddressed.
It is great to see the hospital patient tower underway. At a time when small rural hospitals are struggling, and in some cases, failing, it is great to see such a large investment in our hospital. This commitment to the region makes my job so much easier. To that end, I have had several calls in the last month with developers evaluating projects in Alpena. I am working hard to facilitate bringing one of these opportunities to fruition. My hope is that a project can be announced before year end. The developer interest is an encouraging sign.
In the meantime, be well!
We here at the chamber and economic development are still focused on our missions and continue to work for you.
Chairman Level ($3,201+)
Alpena Agency, Inc.
Alpena Alcona Area Credit Union
Alpena Community College
Alpena Power Company
Bannan Funeral Home
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
Charter Township of Alpena
City of Alpena
Edward Jones – Andrew Kowalski
Edward Jones – Bryan Strong
Edward Jones – Charles R. Ingle
Edward Jones – Eric M. Ferguson
Edward Jones – Marc K. Ferguson
Edward Jones – Pamela Kirchoff
H.P.C. Credit Union
Presque Isle County
Presque Isle Electric and Gas Co-Op
Wolverine State Credit Union
Leader Level ($3,200)
Partner Level ($1,500)
Alpena Community Credit Union
Alpena Public Schools
Bedrock Contracting and Excavating
Builders First Source
Clearview Car Wash
Community Foundation for Northeast Michigan
Downtown Development Authority
Decorative Panels International (DPI)
Employment Services Inc. (ESI)
ITC Holdings, Corp.
Keystone Rental Equipment
LeFave Pharmacy and Compounding
MI Stop Citgo/MI Stop Deli
Northland Area Federal Credit Union
Pennzoil Ten Minute Oil Change Center of Alpena
Propane Plus Inc.
Star Staffing Alpena
State Street Auto Wash
Tier4 Technical Support
Timm Construction Company, LLC
Sponsor Level ($475)
Alcona Health Center
Alpena Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
Alpena Beverage Company
Alpena County George N. Fletcher Public Library
Alpena Events Complex
Alpena Glass Company, Inc.
Alpena News Publishing Company
Alpena Supply Company
Austin Brothers' Beer Company
Besser Senior Living Community, Inc.
Boldrey, Senchuk, Rouleau & Williams, CPA's, PC
Building Express Inc.
Capital One Spark Business
Cardell and Sons Landscaping
Century 21 Crow Realty
Clark Construction Company
Cliff Anschuetz Chevrolet Inc.
Cocoa Capital Corp
Control Solutions Inc
Cutting Edge Construction
Dean Arbour Ford Lincoln
Devere Industrial, LLC
Downtown Union 76 LLC
Everett Goodrich, Inc.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Huron Engineering & Surveying
Industrial Image, Inc.
Lewis & Lewis Professional Surveying, Inc.
Meridian Contracting Services, LLC
Michigan Works Center
Midwest Diesel Service
Neiman's Family Market
Northern Abstract & Title Agency
Omega Electric & Sign Company Inc.
Plowman's Collision Service
Pompeyos Mexican Grill
Presque Isle Township
R.A. Townsend Company
R.S. Scott Associates, Inc.
RE/MAX New Horizons
Real Estate One of Alpena
ServiceMaster Home & Office
Sixty Minutes to Freedom
Skiba Insurance Service
Specification Stone Products
Straley Lamp & Kraenzlein P.C.
Stratford Group Ltd.
Sunrise Behavioral Health Clinic
Switzer Veterinary Clinic
Tarkington Family Dentistry
The Drug Store/Northern Exposure Framing & Matting
The Home Depot
Thunder Bay Accounting
Thunder Bay Electric, Inc.
Thunder Bay Eye Care
Thunder Bay Family Dentistry
Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
Thunder Bay Therapy & Sports Medicine
Thunder Bay Tree Services, LLC
Time to Shine Carwash
True North Radio Network
W.G. Benjey Inc./S&A Company
Weinkauf Plumbing & Heating, Inc.
Werth Development, LLC
West Design Center
White, Wojda and Curtis
Wolf Family Dentistry
Young Appliance, Electronics, Furniture & Mattresses
Zen 24 Hour Fitness Center